Monday 17 October 2011

catching up with blogging

--Zit Seng's lecture--

after Zit Seng's lecture i am better able to appreciate how inefficiencies of the code in the app can impact user experience in terms or loading speed. this is very valuable to me as he was speaking from experience and this will impact how i work in future. Also, i discovered my weakness in my complete lack of knowledge in OS. this explains why im bad at server administration too.

--Security and Privacy--

quite interesting to learn about how people hack hehe. i must confess i did not give security much thought at all during the first 2 assignments. It's not a topic that interests me in particular and it not being part of the milestones was the perfect excuse. Also, another one of my weakness -zero knowledge on security. Maybe taking a module on security would solve the problem. But i'd probably be bored to death. perhaps instead of reading up more about security, i will read up more about hacking.

--final project--

prototype done! by some stroke of madness, all 5 of us iOS noobs decided to build an iOS application instead. we faced many difficulties, mostly logistical :/. But within a week or so, we built a pretty good looking app. im looking forward to building in the extra features :)

I was surprised how difficult it was for sharon to get approval for use of content. Reminds me of the painful red tape i encountered during my internship stint at OCBC. I was also surprised to be kicked out of PL1 when i was trying to quietly mind my own business working on one of the 10 or so unused iMacs. How times have changed. Lab TAs used to be cool.

lesson learnt: never expect anyone to be cooperative with you (unless they are your team-mates)

--other stuff--

3 projects and FYP CA2 within the next few weeks. im ready for the mad dash. RAWR.

2 comments:

  1. I was also surprised to be kicked out of PL1 when i was trying to quietly mind my own business working on one of the 10 or so unused iMacs.

    Who kicked you out of the lab? When was this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. some time last week. by some TA from cs1010. apparently there is some department policy now :/
    perhaps next time i should act like a freshman-noob so that the TA wouldnt notice.

    i quote kenneth:

    life as a cs3216 student is fraught with danger and excitement

    ReplyDelete